Thursday, December 24, 2009

Some Reflections on College Radio at the End of the Decade

Over on Radio Survivor, a group blog that I write for, we're counting down the top radio trends of the past decade. The first two trends that I've reported on both have to do with some gloom and doom stories about college radio.

Yesterday I wrote about college radio tightening its playlist and today I discussed the disturbing trend of universities turning their backs on college radio.

Although it bums me out to read about college radio losing funding, getting shut down, and being overtaken by public radio content; I remain eternally optimistic about the future.

It's my mission to give more attention to independent radio and to remind EVERYONE about its ongoing relevance. So, in 2010 I'll still be doing my best keep college radio alive.

Our trend stories will continue next week and many of the pieces will have implications for college radio. I encourage you to take a look and share your thoughts about the past and future of radio and let us know if there are big stories and radio trends that we missed.

5 comments:

Curtis Johnson said...

Jennifer,

I just stumbled onto your blog, and we are def on the same page... that's why i started gocollegeradio.com. The university I went to didn't (and still doesn't) have a college radio station and that's what gave me the idea to start this thing... and that was like 7 years ago. I'm now going to spend the rest of the afternoon reading this entire blog. We should connect and do something together sometime. Not sure what, but something! keep the faith.

Curtis

Jennifer Waits said...

Hey, thanks. Glad to meet you and am surprised never to have run across your site before. It's always great to meet others preaching the gospel of college radio!

Natalie Y. said...

I also happened to stumble on your blog as I am helping build a radio station for a community college in California. We recently - despite enormous budget cuts- were able to receive enough money to utilize the best of the best in radio technology and build a radio station from scratch.

Any advice you have on a startup college radio station? We're pretty much cool on everything except workflow. We're not really sure how to go about it.

N

Jennifer Waits said...

Natalie...congratulations on starting up a new college radio station. Tell me more and I'd be happy to feature you guys on the blog.

Natalie Y. said...

Great, Jennifer! I appreciate that. The Web site is still under construction: KPCRadio.com. It's Pierce College's first Internet radio station.

I'll definitely keep in touch with this blog and with you. We're located in Woodland Hills, CA (about 8 miles north of Los Angeles). Let me know if you'd like a tour :)

N