Tuesday, September 22, 2009

CMJ Music Marathon Discounts End Tonight

I'm getting excited for the annual CMJ Music Marathon (coming up October 20th to 24th in New York City at NYU) and found out that today is the last day to get discounted tickets. As always, there's a bit of a break in price if you're a student and if your station is bringing a group of folks. Those discounts all end tonight at midnight Eastern time.

In addition to all of the live shows, films, and panels, there will be a few events specific to college radio. There will be a college radio mixer Tuesday night (October 20th) and "College Day" will be held all day on Thursday, October 22nd. A preliminary schedule is up on the CMJ website, however artists haven't been announced yet.

I just found an old journal entry of mine from when I went to the CMJ Music Marathon in 1988! I saw a panel called "Women in Metal: Sexism Not Just in the Lyrics?" (with some disheartening commentary, but I was amused by the band called Leech Patrol that mocked metal), heard a press conference with Siouxsie and the Banshees (they seemed bored), saw Billy Bragg and the Triffids perform, went to a Fishbone show at the Cat Club (the lead singer hurled an audience member out of a chair), and went up to the top of the World Trade Center to take in the view at sunset (the CMJ conference was being held there). It was a fun trip to NYC for me and a real adventure. I went all by myself, taking the train from Philly while my other college radio pals stayed on campus to study. Who knows what will be in store this year...

No comments: