Thursday, May 20, 2010

WFMU's Record Library Gets the Star Treatment

I talk a lot about my love for both radio stations and physical music. For me, the two go hand in hand. Part of the reason that I do a radio show every week is because I enjoy having access to a record library full of tens of thousands of CDs and records. Just this week I did a music special in which I pretty much relied on the station's archives since I don't personally own the music that I was playing. It's amazing to learn about some awesome band from the past and then find their LPs and 7"s safely nestled amid the other gems at one's college radio station.

Goldmine Magazine just started a new series where they will be visiting various record collections. Up first is their trip to New Jersey community radio station WFMU. This video does a great job of showing why WFMU DJs embrace vinyl and is the perfect companion piece to my recent PopMatters article "Technology and the Soul of College Radio, as it really depicts the magic of doing radio using physical music.



If you want to see more of WFMU, take a look at the post I did after touring the station in 2008.

No comments: