Monday, October 13, 2008

College Radio Nostalgia - Hawaii

Yesterday there was a post by blogger MusicWench that included some college radio memories from several decades ago. She writes about her introduction to college radio station KTUH at University of Hawaii, Manoa where she DJ'd, talks about her love for Led Zeppelin and how the station broadened her music taste, and mentions how instrumental her college radio experience was in shaping her life. In her post "The Best Curve of My Life," she writes:

"Of all the experiences in my life, I believe the times I spent working at the student radio station had the biggest impact on who I am today. It definitely broadened my horizons and pretty much changed the direction I was previously following in life, which was a good thing because that's how I met my husband.

It also introduced me to different kinds of music. I had always loved rock and roll music but through the radio station I discovered jazz, classical, blues, reggae and even learned to love Hawaiian music which I had heard all my life but pretty much wasn't impressed with. I even
learned to like some country music, though I have to admit I still like it in very limited doses."

No comments: