Monday, July 20, 2009

Spinning Indie on Mediageek Radio Show

Studio at WNUR

Last week I was interviewed by Paul Riismandel (one of my fellow Radio Survivor bloggers) for his Mediageek radio show. Paul's been doing a fantastic series of interviews with people in the radio industry for his weekly program on WNUR and I was happy to represent college radio on Thursday's show.

If you missed the show you can catch the podcast online. Additionally, Mediageek is syndicated on a number of college, community and LPFM stations from Alaska to Vermont.

In the interview I mainly talk about college radio's value as an independent media source, particularly when it comes to music that isn't generally heard over commercial airwaves. Clearly my heart belongs to stations that are playing indie music; but this doesn't discount the role played by college radio stations with a different focus.

Additionally, I emphasize the importance of supporting college radio and advocating for one's favorite stations. The economy and assumptions about radio's declining influence have led to the loss of college radio on some campuses and I think it's vital to stop this trend by getting college radio back on the radar. Listen to it. Blog about it. Donate to it. Become a DJ. Volunteer. Tweet about it. Tell your friends. Remind yourself and others why college radio matters.

No comments: